Monday, March 8, 2010

Deciding to Donate

Well, I'm breaking new ground here in two ways. First, I've never blogged before, so this is the first "first". The second, and by far more important "first" is my decision to become a kidney donor at 60 years old.

If all goes well in the coming months, I will become what they call a non-directed donor. As the name implies, this means that I will not know the recipient; and I may never learn his/her identity. But that's okay. That's not why I made this decision. Here is why I did......

Somewhere around 2005/06, my sister-in-law developed kidney failure. The exact disease is not important, but the way it affected her life was. In a short period of time the changes to her physical being were very apparent. It was hard and I can only surmise how tough it was for her and my brother (her husband) and their two children to go thru on a daily basis.

More on this on my next blog.............

No comments:

Post a Comment